Last night I made a huge pot of quinoa for my husband to use in a new recipe he is trying (a breakfast casserole of some sort...stay tuned). So today I threw a salad together using some of the quinoa + added things I already had on hand like shredded carrots + mint. A handful of black beans gave the salad a bit more staying power by upping the protein + fiber content. I also added a dollop of fresh baba ganoush in lieu of dressing. This added creaminess without the greasiness of an oily dressing.
No pre-made quinoa? No problem! This salad would be great with any raw veggies plus half a cup of no-salt-added beans or a small steamed sweet potato (Dexter's favorite :))
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup black beans (canned, rinsed)
- 1/4 purple onion, diced
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 Tbsp. baba ganoush (this would be great with hummus too!)
- Small handful of fresh mint (optional; or use fresh basil for a different flavor)
1. Place quinoa and beans in a bowl.
2. Chop vegetables and add to bowl
3. Scoop baba ganoush onto salad, top with mint + enjoy!