Sometimes I do want something sweet in the morning...like a vegan donut :) But most mornings, I'm looking for something savory + satisfying. Recently I've been making for this simple savory spinach oatmeal each morning. Using frozen spinach, sun-dried tomatoes + frozen basil pods (thank you, Trader Joe's!) allows me to make this when I don't have any fresh veggies on hand.
Use this recipe as a guide - feel free to add in leftover veggies from the night before or throw in some curry paste to give your breakfast a bit of a bite.
- 1/2 cup raw rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups water (sub with a dairy-free milk for extra creaminess)
- 2 pods of Trader Joe's frozen basil pods
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach
- 1 Tbsp. whole flax seeds
- 1 Tbsp. Trader Joe's Almnod Butter Turmeric Salad Dressing
- 1 tsp. pine nuts or slivered almonds
- sprinkle of dairy-free shredded cheese (optional; Daiya is my favorite)
- 1 tsp. chutney (optional; Le Bon Magot has some super unique flavors)
1. Add water, oats, frozen spinach + basil to a small pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Cook approximately 5 minutes until oats have softened + are looking plump.
3. Add flax seeds, dressing + nuts. Cook 1 - 2 minutes before removing from heat.
4. Scoop your oatmeal into a bowl, top with cheese + chutney and enjoy!